The impacts of COVID-19 are playing out all around us. Schools are extending spring breaks or going to online-only classes, store shelves are practically empty because people are stocking up and major public events are being canceled as a way to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Your health and the health of the communities we serve is our top priority. As we all adjust our lives in these rapidly changing times, please know our team is here to help you get through the hectic pace and help you find the care you need.
If you have questions about the coronavirus, have symptoms and need help finding a doctor to do a COVID-19 test or any other concern, please call Florida Blue at 800-352-2583 or 800-926-6565 for Medicare members. You can also call the Florida Department of Health’s 24/7 COVID-19 call center at (866) 779-6121 or email COVIDemail@example.com.
Contact your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms linked to the coronavirus, such as mild to severe respiratory symptoms, including a cough and difficulty breathing, and a fever. If a doctor determines a test is needed, he or she will perform it and send it to the laboratory.
Florida Blue has made some changes to make it easier for you to get tested and treated for COVID-19 and increased access to other health care services, including:
- Strongly encouraging members to take advantage of virtual care options in their plans for less serious medical issues. A virtual visit allows you to protect yourself by staying out of a crowded doctor’s office for non-emergency illnesses and be able to talk to a doctor from your home or wherever you are.
- As long as the coronavirus continues to be a health concern, members under 65 who buy their own coverage and many members who get insurance through their employers, will have $0 cost share for virtual visits with Teladoc. If you get insurance through your employer, check with your company’s benefits administrator to see if this service is part of your health plan. Virtual care is available 24/7 and is ideal for conditions such as sinus infections, sore throats, allergies and upset stomachs. You need to set up an account, including sharing your medical history. If you haven’t done that yet, take a few minutes to create your account so it’s ready when you need it. For faster Teladoc support, we encourage you to use teladoc.com or download Teladoc’s app from the Apple App or Google Play stores. If you have questions, please call us at 800-352-2583. Please note: You cannot get a referral for the coronavirus test from Teladoc. Please consult with your local doctor by phone for a referral and local COVID-19 testing locations. These tests must be completed in person. If you need help find a doctor, call us at 800-352-2583, or 800-926-6565 for Medicare members. You also can use Florida Blue’s online provider directory by logging into your account on floridablue.com.
- During this time, all members can use Florida Blue network providers who are offering virtual visits. This allows you to get care from primary care providers, behavioral health providers and specialists. You’ll pay the regular office visit cost share the virtual visit.
- Waiving copays and deductibles related to the medical test for the virus. You should call your primary care doctor if you’re experiencing symptoms linked to the coronavirus, like a cough and difficulty breathing. If your doctor feels you need to be tested, the lab test is at no cost to you. (If you get your insurance through your employer, check with your company’s benefits administrator to see if this is part of your plan.) However, there may be charges for the office visit or other tests (like for flu test) if they’re performed. A doctor’s note is required for the COVID-19 test.
- Increasing access to necessary medications. Florida Blue is waiving early medication refill limits on 30-day prescription maintenance medications and are encouraging members to use the 90-day mail order benefit. If you need help with mail order, please call Florida Blue at 800-352-2583, or 800-926-6565 for Medicare. Please say “Pharmacy” when you call.
- Offering counseling for members feeling stress related to the coronavirus. In partnership with New Directions Behavioral Health, you can talk to specially trained behavioral health counselors 24/7 at no cost. You can talk with a counselor about any stress you may be feeling by calling the toll-free helpline at 833-848-1762. The counselors will not be able to assist with questions about COVID-19 testing or treatment, so for those questions, please call Florida Blue at 800-352-2583 or 800-926-6565 for Medicare members.